Maitland Fireworks Cancelled

Filed under Community, Maitland LGA, News ~ by Press on  30 Dec 2019

Other planned activities will proceed as normal.

Maitland’s planned 9.00pm New Year’s Eve fireworks display won’t go ahead due to forecast extreme weather for the City.

On Monday morning, Council officers met on site with representatives from Fire and Rescue NSW, NSW Rural Fire Service and the pyrotechnicians and reached a consensus position that the current and forecast conditions would mean that proceeding with the planned fireworks would present an unacceptable level of risk to both the safety of the event and the community.

Greg Symonds, Superintendent Fire and Rescue NSW said a number of factors led to this decision, including the severe fire danger forecast for the Region, predicted 42 degree temperatures, unfavourable wind forecast, and low fuel moisture content on site and in the surrounding area.

These, combined with our services being heavily committed to existing fires in the Region, meant that proceeding with the fireworks presented too great a risk."

Council booked the fireworks display earlier in the year and had planned to proceed had conditions been favourable. Council’s General Manager David Evans said.

Our planning for New Year’s Eve started early in the year, and we committed to the fireworks long before the conditions we are currently experiencing took hold,” said Mr. Evans.

We would have liked to have been able to proceed with the fireworks had the conditions forecast for tomorrow been more favourable, but after the site inspection today, we support the advice from the emergency services."

Council will still proceed with the other planned activities from 5.00pm – 8.30pm in the Riverside Car Park, which include free family amusements, live music, face painting, food stalls, kids disco, craft activities, free photobooth and more.

Despite the fireworks not going ahead, we’ll still be hosting a range of free family activities, to say goodbye to 2019 and welcome 2020 so I would encourage everyone to come along join together and celebrate," said Mr. Evans

Council will consider options for the unused fireworks early in the new year.



Previous postPort Access Concern for Grain Exporters Next postOh oh
Our content: Terms of Use   |    © 2020 Newcastle on Hunter ~ Mostly Good News   |    Design by milo