House Fire Safety Reminder

Filed under News, Security ~ by Press on  11 Jul 2019

Among the range of appliances that can cause house fires, fan heaters and clothes dryers are the most dangerous.

Pictured ~ when a fan heater stops blowing, the heater element can stay on. Older fan heaters might not have safety interlocks to prevent this. Even if an interlock exists, it can fail to work as intended.

Never leave a fan heater unattended, and keep an ear out for your clothes dryer, that it’s still churning. Especially older ones.

Authorities are urging people to be aware of the risk of fires within the home and to practice safe fire behaviour this winter.

In the cooler months, electrical, gas and wood heaters are used to help warm up the home. There is also increased use of clothes dryers, electric blankets, cooktops and portable heaters. It’s important appliances and equipment are regularly checked, monitored while in use and maintained to minimise the risk of fire. Reading and following safety and warning instructions for heating appliances and equipment will help reduce the threat of fires within the home.

Smoke alarms save lives. It is compulsory for every home, caravan or other building where people sleep to have an operating smoke alarm. Most smoke alarms must be connected to electrical power supply and backed-up by batteries. Changing the batteries and testing the smoke alarm at least yearly is a simple practice to maintain the operation of this life-saving device.

Households are strongly encouraged to get advice and assistance from a licensed electrician to ensure your home is adequately protected.

Other fire safety measures could include purchasing and installing a fire blanket or a house-hold portable fire extinguisher. Create a fire safety and action plan involving the whole family and practice a fire drill regularly so everyone knows what to do in the event of an emergency.

Fire and Rescue NSW respond to over 4,500 residential call outs every year. Unfortunately tragedies do occur but can be minimised by being aware of fire risks and taking preventative measures.

For more information and winter fire safety tips see www.fire.nsw.gov.au



Previous postBlackhawk Down? Worse. Twitter Down Next postUoN Alumni Awards Achievers in 2019
Our content: Terms of Use   |    © 2019 Newcastle on Hunter ~ Mostly Good News   |    Design by milo