Surfest Goes Silver

Surfest in the 80sSurfest Celebrates 25 Years of Global Surfing Talent

Newcastle’s popular Surfest event is set to celebrate its 25th anniversary with an impressive showcase of surfing talent and cultural events, NSW Tourism Minister Jodi McKay said today.

Ms McKay today launched the 2010 Burton Toyota Surfest at Merewether with this year’s program featuring 11 surfing events, attracting more than 650 competitors from 12 countries around the world.

This event showcases the importance of surfing to our tourism industry, and attracts hundreds of spectators and competitors,” she said.

Surfest is included on the NSW Major Events Calendar, which puts Newcastle and its stunning surfing beaches on the international sporting stage.

Surfest has grown over its 25-year history to become an important sporting, tourism and cultural event, and is a credit to the hard work and commitment of its supporters and sponsors.”

In addition to the support provided by the State Government through Events NSW this year we are providing a further $25,000 for the production of a documentary of the event to be used to promote Surfest in the years to come,” said Ms McKay.

To be held March 2-14, Surfest includes a number of art and photo exhibitions, fund-raising for a number of charities and activities celebrating some of surfing’s great achievers.

This year’s event also offers the grade two international Chiko Pro for boys and grade one international Chiko Pro for girls,” Ms McKay said.

The inclusion of these international competition events promises that some world class surfing will be on show at Newcastle’s beaches this month.

With support from surfing greats such as Surfest Patron Mark Richards, former four-time surfing world champion, its set to be a fantastic event for the serious surfing enthusiast.

It’s also a great opportunity for families to get out and about in Newcastle to enjoy the city’s beach culture.

I wish everyone involved in this year’s Surfest a fantastic event, and encourage anyone with an interest to go along and enjoy the exciting surfing talent on show over the coming weeks.

Last year the NSW Government launched its Surf Tourism Action Plan, to consolidate our position as the country’s premier surf destination for international and domestic visitors.

We attract 40 per cent of domestic and international surf tourists that visit Australia, and offer 77 of the country’s top 100 surf beaches, including of course Merewether here in Newcastle.”

surfest-merewether-memories-2[1]


Previous postCouncil Rejects Chamber's Comments Next postWe have no business supporting corruption
© 2019 Newcastle on Hunter ~ Images of change   |    Design by milo